Friday, December 9, 2011

Technology

As opposed to most college students I think, I have taken most of my courses online, with relatively few classes in an actual classroom. The main difference for me is that in a classroom, the time has been set aside and solely dedicated for school. Usually I have been able to do the majority of my classwork in class and take very little of it home. There is also the added benefit of  teacher and classmate interaction which, though possible, occurs much less frequently and spontainiously. On the flip side, online classes have allowed me the flexability to work whenever I want, doing as much (or as little) as I have the time for right then. Therein lies the biggest challenge for online classes: if you don’t have a passion for it, it takes effort to keep up, and if you dislike the subject, it may be almost impossible to give it all of your effort. That would be my recommendation there; if it is a subject that you like, it should be just fine to take online. In an English class, especially one focused primarily on writing papers of any leangth, online may serve just as well as a classroom based course. Afterall, there is often little need for instruction of much length before an assignment is submitted, and most of the interactions afterward are focused on what the student can improve on the assignment.
As for the last three questions for this assignment, I really don’t know what to answer. To be honest, most of the gadgets that we used made it harder for me to get my assignments done. I did enjoy getting feedback from other students on the blog, but like my own comments, they get posted only because they have to be posted. No one looks beyond the few posts that they have to in order to get their responses out, and NO ONE looks at older posts. It’s not a bad thing, it is just how it works. As for the final presentation, to me it was hard because I didn’t know how “pretty” it had to be, so I didn’t even know where to start or when to quit. To be honest, I think it was rather dull and simple, but it fulfilled the assignment. Of all of the things we used this semester, I must say in all honesty I will likely never use again. (Except maybe Extranormal, just for fun. It looked kind of cool, but too cool for school…)

No comments:

Post a Comment